Plans

Thursday, December 30, 2010  

Excited.  That's what I am.  It has been many a moon since I've been so focused on creative pursuits.  Well, okay, there were those four years I spent embroiled in a diploma writing course and cursing the lecturers and the education system they stood for, but I'd hardly call that ground-breaking.  Have you ever tried to write 1000 words on copyright law? You see my point.

'Creating' has been in my blood since day dot.  My mother was a skilled spinner and knitter, my father trained in carpentry and is phenomenally good at intarsia (for some good examples of the art form, see here) and my sister draws and sketches beautifully. And, though related by marriage rather than blood, my mother-in-law is a drop-dead impressive quilter and my husband has an eye for photography.  I was always more the wordy type (hence the deluded notion of one day becoming a best-selling author) so you could say I did my weaving with language rather than yarn, but with all these talented people around me, the urge to create is strong.

I can get utterly lost in a sea of fabric and ribbon and lace and felt when I'm in my Craft Cave. Things whir and click and buzz and snip and it still amazes me that at the end of all that chaos and mess something beautiful is produced.

Kind of like childbirth, when you think about it!

(Posts begin 'for real' on Monday 3rd January)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...